FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I will use our relationship to help you discover and develop new ways of approaching your life. I will listen to you and make observations whilst at the same time looking at what goes on between us, as this provides pointers to what might be going on unconsciously.
Fees for follow up sessions are typically from £65. This can be discussed at the initial consultation. You will be expected to pay for missed or cancelled sessions, except for those cancelled by me.
Open-ended work lasts for varying lengths of time and the initial consultation is an important opportunity to explore this. On-going work allows time for deeper issues to emerge.
Most clients prefer the latter as we don’t always know the source of the problem until we have worked together for a while.
I aim to attend closely to whatever you bring to your sessions in order that together we may try to understand the less conscious aspects of your thoughts, feelings and behaviours – all of which may be contributing to the suffering and distress you are currently experiencing. At times, I may explore how some of the emotional difficulties you bring to therapy may be experienced in your relationship with me, thus enabling us to experience and attend to areas of emotional conflict first hand, and to work on them in an immediate way.
Gaining insight into the nature of underlying emotional conflicts can bring relief, and opens up the possibility of changing unhelpful patterns which were previously repeated without awareness. Gradually a greater degree of self understanding can be achieved, enabling you to find more appropriate ways of being and coping with difficulties.
- Offering a reliable and confidential relationship
- Providing support during times of crisis and transition
- Deepening awareness of you and your relationships
- Offering a safe space that you can speak about feelings that worry or frighten you
- Making sense of recurring problems and exploring links with the past.
- Challenging repeating and unhelpful patterns of thought and behaviours so that we are released from them to be ourselves